Saturday, November 17, 2012

Playing MMORP Games - WoW Pros and Cons

Today we are going to dive into gaming world, to be precise, MMORPG world (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game), a mouthful. No, I am not going to discuss the games, but the benefits and the downside of playing them. This is my personal experience, so let's get on with it.

my orc warrior
As a passionate WarCraft player I remember the day when they announced the coming of World of Warcraft, and I can remember the feeling - unlimited joy, not just for me but my friends also. Finally we would be able to play the game we were addicted to, from the comfort of our own homes instead of piling up in a club and play LAN. So, they released the game somewhere at the end of 2004 and I got it at the beginning of 2005, got comfy in my chair and didn't get up for couple of years ...



The game was hard and it required my full focus and dedication. My real life discipline level was close to 0, meaning I did what I want and when I want it. For the first time in my life I was on time for something every day - RAID ! Whenever there was an announcement I was there, not a minute late. My avatar was there actually, I was home eating chips in front of the monitor. So, my discipline level go a bit higher, on a scale from 1 to 10, around 4. I was doing what I want but not when I want it, but still, my discipline went on another level.

deathwing the all-not-mightyFor me to be every day on a given spot and give my 100% it was impossible, but not this time. To play MMORPG requires dedication, not just discipline. It means you must learn what you have to do and do it perfectly. Remember we are talking about WoW in the early days when you needed a guild, a sane guild master with Japanese organizational skills and a team of 40 crazy people free of any obligations that have 8 hours a day. All you need nowadays is 15 minutes to down Deathwing with a random bunch of misfits. They fully destroyed the core of what MMORPG stands for.
Anyway, my dedication went to unimaginable level. I studied my character from head to toes, practiced every day, and fulfilled my duty almost perfectly. If I was muscular guy (and not skinny one) and got proper training in real life I would be a commando! But I am not interested in being a commando, have no passion for it, nor interest.

Remember when you play a 3D game for the first time after couple of months you get dizzy and you need to throw up? That's your brain confused from all the rapid eye movement. After couple of days or months your eye muscles get stronger thus preventing eye movement disorders. On contrary to popular belief that looking into a monitor can hurt your eyes I experienced the opposite. My sight got sharper and I don't have any headaches whats so ever. Only a crappy, unadjusted or spherical monitor can hurt your eyes if you look at it for too long.

Another thing that got boosted were my reflexes. Now, we are talking about lazy guy here with a reflexes of a dead horse. After couple of months I became a typing monster. My brain and my hands were communicating with a Bruce Lee speed. Too bad MMORPG does not involve the whole body!

For the first time in my life I was good at something. I was on point, dedicated, disciplined soldier. What did I get in return? Nothing, more than nothing! The sad thing was that at the same time I was good at wasting  my life. All those things like discipline and dedication were sucked up by a monster that feeds on my time, my life. The connection was the passion for it, but in life you must do things that you are not passionate about and you need to do them with the same dedication that you have for playing games or whatever you are passionate about that does not bring you any benefits.

I'm not saying "don't play games", just be mindful about the time and resources spent on the "beast". If your real life sucks because of it then that's your wake-up call. Regroup and use your abilities to do something beneficial for yourself and those around you, otherwise, you are doing it wrong! I'm still playing games, 10 minutes a day. There are a lot of sites out there that offer mind enhancing games that don't require 8 hours a day. My personal favorites are Chat Noir and Slider.They tease my brain and do not eat my time.

Until the next time,

Play Responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment